Preen provides affordable reused furniture and household goods to the general public and gives discounts to people on low incomes and the elderly.
As a social enterprise and registered Community Interest Company (CIC) limited by guarantee our profits are used for the benefit of the community.
Donate furniture, Buy reused items, or spread the Preen word and you’ll be helping some of the poorest in our community.
More than just Reuse
In addition to providing affordable reused furniture and household goods, we also offer
- Meeting Rooms for Hire
- Serviced Offices
- Courses & Workshops
- Volunteering Opportunities
- Supported Employment
How we use our profits
- This year (2015) we set up The Preen Trust as a safety net for local people who are severe hardship and have exhausted all other avenues of support.
- We created the Bedfordshire Food Aid Network (BFAN) and we support it financially. In July 2015 we gave food equal to more than 1350 meals and 260 desserts plus miscellaneous food and toiletries to help local families manage over the school holidays when their children aren’t receiving free school lunches.
- Between April 2014 and March 2015 we helped more than 2000 low income households in Bedfordshire to furnish their homes or equip it with items such as washing machines, electric cookers, tumble driers, etc.
- We provide supported both volunteering and paid employment opportunities as well as training for people who have physical or mental health difficulties, criminal records or other disadvantaging circumstances.
- In 2012-13 we ran the Community Challenge that awarded cash and prizes worth thousands of pounds to local charities and community projects across Central Bedfordshire. Beneficiaries included organisations helping disadvantaged young people locally, playgroups, schools, after school clubs, good neighbour groups, a local environmental organisation, guides and scouts, a heritage society, and village halls.